Unicode, Greek and special characters (was [OS X TeX] BibDesk and Unicode (was: BibTeX problems)

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 11:52:11 EST 2005

On Friday, March 04, 2005, at 07:44AM, Jason Davies <ucgajpd at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

>this seems a good moment to ask for clarification: do you mean I can use
>'normal' LaTeX accenting, or that unicode means I can type them as if I
>were using (eg) BBEdit (ie they *appear* as accented characters)?

You can type them as they should really appear when typeset; Greek should even work.  You have to save the file in an encoding which supports those characters, though, and your LaTeX document has to be set up to use the same encoding.

>further, I keep nearly getting to the point of putting in ancient greek
>- a similar question arises. Are we at the point where I can just type
>in a Unicode font? and will publishers be able to cope?:-{

If you exclusively use Mac OS X, you can use XeLaTeX, which allows you to type in a Unicode font.  In this case, you should save your LaTeX and .bib file(s) as UTF-8.

--
Adam
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>