[OS X TeX] Carbon

Norman Gall ngall at ucalgary.ca
Thu Mar 31 18:34:06 EST 2005

And if I can be so bold there is yaced (which I think Kevin Walzer took
a swipe at on the other list :).

I have patched Carbon Emacs to use transparent windows and included
some fontsets for monaco, courier, courier new, andale mono, and lucida
sans typewriter.

My installer is designed for people who install there own packages and
want only what they themselves have installed laying around.

yaced v1.1 can be downloaded from

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
group_id=132323&package_id=145322&release_id=317030

Here is the Readme for yaced:

yaced
*****

This manual is for yaced (Yet another Carbon Emacs Distribution)
(version 1.1), which is a Carbon Emacs Distribution for MacOS X 10.3.

    Copyright (C) 2005 Norman Gall

      Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
      document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License,
      Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software
      Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with the Front-Cover Texts
      being "A GNU Manual," and with the Back-Cover Texts as in (a)
      below.  A copy of the license is included in the section entitled
      "GNU Free Documentation License."

      (a) The FSF's Back-Cover Text is: "You have freedom to copy and
      modify this GNU Manual, like GNU software.  Copies published by
      the Free Software Foundation raise funds for GNU development."

1 What is yaced?
****************

yaced (Yet Another Carbon Emacs Distribution) is a set of Apple
Installer Packages that allow a user to get a Carbon Emacs installation
up and running with a minimum of fuss. There are presently three
packages: Emacs, yaced Base Files, and AUCTeX for yaced.

    Carbon Emacs is a version of the venerable Emacs editor
(`http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html') that runs natively in
the Quartz environment (that is, without the need for the X11 windowing
system).

    The yaced Base Files are the extra bits added to Emacs to make it
work more seamlessly with MacOS X. We add a few pre-defined fontsets
that should be found on any MacOS X installation, turn on anti-aliased
fonts, include mac-key-mode (for more Mac-like key commands), and some
of the glue that ties it all together. More detail is provided below.

    The only Emacs package that we are providing right now is AUCTeX.
yaced is primarily aimed at writers of prose rather than code. AUCTeX
"is an extensible package for writing and formatting TeX files in GNU
Emacs and XEmacs. It supports many different TeX macro packages,
including AMS-TeX, LaTeX, Texinfo, ConTeXt, and docTeX (short for
writing LaTeX packages with the doc style or the ltxdoc class)"
(`http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex'). All we do here, as for Emacs,
is package up the distribution from the developers. What you get is a
default installation inside the Emacs.app.

    yaced is also the project (`http://yaced.sourceforge.net') that
brings these wonderful things to you. The general aim is to package
materials for easy distribution, installation, and maintenance.
Documentation of the project and of the materials will be limited to
what yaced adds to the software being distributed. In other words,
yaced does not have anything to do with the development of Emacs or of
any of the packages distributed. We are responsible for the packaging
itself and the function that the Base Files add.

2 Current Versions of Packaged Software
***************************************

   1. Carbon Emacs (22.0.50 CVS 2005-03-25)

      This package is compiled from the Emacs CVS using the
      mac/make-package script with the -self-contained switch and
      patched with T. Hiromatsu's transparency additions.

   2. yaced base files (1.1)

      The base files contain redo (v1.02), mac-key-mode (v20050323), and
      some fontsets for use in Carbon Emacs.

   3. AUCTeX (11.55 CVS 2005-03-28)

      This package is compiled from CVS to be installed inside the
      Emacs.app.

3 What is different in this version?
************************************

v1.1: There are a number of changes to what is distributed in this
version:

    * Emacs (22.0.50 CVS 2005-03-25) is the applications version and is
      patched to have transparent windows (code by Takashi Hiromatsu
      (`http://sourceforge.jp/users/matsuan/'))

    * AUCTeX (11.55 CVS 2005-03-28) is included. The problem with
      tex-site.el not having the correct value for TeX-lisp-directory is
      fixed. Emacs.app can now be moved to any location after
      installation.

    * The yaced base files (v1.1) package now contains frame transparency
      control, and a better selection (and method of construction) of
      fontsets.

    v1.0: Initial release

4 How do I use yaced?
*********************

Most of the functions added by yaced are available as the default when
you launch Emacs.app. There are a few things turned off by default.

    * anti-aliasing is on

    * mac-key-mode is off

    * the default fontset is monaco 12

    * transparency alpha is set to 80%

5 How do I customise yaced?
***************************

There are a few features which yaced has added that you can change.
These include

    * change whether mac-key-mode is active at launch

      Look in the menu Help > yaced Package

      You should see an item called Mac-Style Key Bindings. If there is a
      checkmark, it is on; otherwise, it is off. Mac-style Key Bindings
      is off by default. You will also see an `M' on the mode line.

      To set mac-key-mode on at launch, edit your ~/.emacs file and add
      at the bottom

           (require 'mac-key-mode)
           (mac-key-mode)

      You can also right-click on the mode-line to pop up the minor-modes
      menu to turn Mac Keys on and off without having to go to the Help
      menu.

      These are the default remappings:

               (define-key map [(alt c)] 'kill-ring-save)
               (define-key map [(alt v)] 'yank)
               (define-key map [(alt x)] 'kill-region)
               (define-key map [(alt a)] 'mark-whole-buffer)
               (define-key map [(alt z)] 'undo)
               (define-key map [(alt meta z)] 'redo) ; requires redo
               (define-key map [(alt f)] 'isearch-forward)
               (define-key map [(alt meta f)] 'occur)
               (define-key map [(alt g)] 'isearch-repeat-forward)
               (define-key map [(alt o)] 'mac-key-open-file)
               (define-key map [(alt s)] 'save-buffer)
               (define-key map [(alt w)] 'kill-this-buffer)
               (define-key map [(alt m)] 'iconify-frame)
               (define-key map [(alt q)] 'save-buffers-kill-emacs)
               (define-key map [(alt p)] 'ps-print-buffer-with-faces)
               (define-key map [(alt i)] 'mac-key-show-in-finder)
               (define-key map [(alt t)] 'mac-key-open-terminal)
               (define-key map [(alt .)] 'keyboard-quit)
               (define-key map [(alt up)] 'beginning-of-buffer)
               (define-key map [(alt down)] 'end-of-buffer)
               (define-key map [(alt left)] 'beginning-of-line)
               (define-key map [(alt right)] 'end-of-line)
               (define-key map [A-mouse-1] 'browse-url-at-mouse) ; cmd +
click

      To customise, put code like this after (mac-key-mode):

                (define-key mac-key-mode-map [(alt f)] 'goto-line)

    * change whether anti-aliasing is active at launch

      To turn anti-aliasing off, add the following line to your ~/.emacs
      file

           (setq mac-allow-anti-aliasing nil)

    * change the transparency of new frames

      Add the following line to your ~/.emacs file (the argument should
      be between 0 and 100 where higher values mean more opacity):

      yaced sets transparency at 80 by default in

      site-lisp.d/yaced-fontset.el

      with the command

           (setq mac-transparency-alpha 80)

      To change the default behaviour, edit that line in the file in
      Emacs (open that folder with Help > yaced > Open Site-Start
      Directory) and byte-compile the file with Emacs-Lisp >
      Byte-Compile This File

    * determine which fontsets are available at launch

      Options > Set Font/Fontset

      The presently installed fontsets are listed in the Fontsets
      submenu.

    * set the default fontset

      Add the following lines to the bottom of your ~/.emacs file

             (set-default-font "fontset-<nameoffontset>")
             (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font .
"fontset-<nameoffontset>")))

      Make sure that the fontset you want as default is loaded at launch.

6 How do I install packages for yaced?
**************************************

You can also install into the Emacs.app by hand any package that runs
with the X11 version of Emacs. Emacs.app also looks for any packages
installed by Fink (`http://fink.sourceforge.net').

    If your Emacs.app is installed in /Applications, you should use the
following command to configure (the backslashes indicate a line break
that should not appear when you type this out in Terminal):

      ./configure
---using-emacs=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs \
      ---lispdir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp \
      ---mandir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/man \
      ---infodir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info

    You will have to remember that if you re-install Emacs.app, these
packages will not be retained--they will have to be re-installed.

    For this reason, Emacs.app will look in

    * /sw/share/emacs/site-lisp/ (if present),

    * /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp,

    * ~/Library/Emacs,

    * ~/Library/Application Support/Emacs, and

    * /Library/Application Support/Emacs

    (in that order) to find your Emacs packages. You can install Emacs
packages in any of these locations and re-installation (or movement) of
Emacs.app will not be affected.

7 What exactly gets installed?
******************************

The Emacs package installs a fresh, newly compiled version of Carbon
Emacs from CVS, patched by T. Hiromatsu's transparency code.

    The AUCTeX package installs a fresh, newly compiled version of AUCTeX
from CVS (including the contributed bits).

    The yaced Base Files package installs a number of files:

    * Contents/Resources/etc/yaced
         * dot.emacs.yaced

           This is a sample .emacs file for first timers.

         * README.yaced

           This is a plain text version of the info file for yaced.

         * yaced.pdf

           This is the pdf version of the info file for yaced.

         * yaced-html

           This directory contains the html version of the info file for
           yaced.

    * Contents/Resources/info
         * yaced.texi

           This is the source document for all of the documentation.
           This is included in case you want to give me any hints or
           contributions for the documentation.

         * yaced.info

           This is the info file for yaced.

    * Contents/Resources/site-lisp
         * redo.el

           This is the redo package that allows mac-key-modes to perform
           multiple undos.

         * site-start.el

           This is the main control file for starting up Emacs. It
           ensures that all of the yaced customisations load, the info
           and man paths are available, sets the various load paths for
           where you can store other emacs packages, and loads all of
           the files in the site-start.d directory.

         * site-start.d/yaced-fontset.el

           This file loads the predefined fontsets, turns anti-aliasing
           on, and sets the default fontset to monaco12.

         * mac/mac-key-mode.el

           This file is a slightly modified version of the package that
           allows for more mac-like key mappings.

         * mac/yaced-fontsets.el

           This file contains all of the predefined fontsets.

         * mac/yaced.el

           This file installs the yaced menu under help and manages all
           of the internal stuff that yaced needs.

    * Contents/Resources

         * emacs-file.icns

           This file contains the icon for files that you have
           associated with Emacs in the finder.

    * Contents

         * Info.plist

           This file contains all of the goodies the application needs to
           correctly identify itself, associate files with Emacs.app,
           and gives some types of associated files an icon.

8 How do I report a bug?
************************

For issues dealing with Emacs itself, consult the emacs info pages.

    For issues dealing with AUCTeX, consult the info page for the
package.

    For issues relating only to what the yaced project adds, ask me at
`http://yaced.sourceforge.net'.

9 Other FAQs
************

    * How do I use Carbon Emacs with cocoAspell?

      No troubles here. Install cocoAspell. Then set the variable
      'ispell-program-name' to the path of the cocoAspell program inside
           the cocoAspell bundle: (for example:

/Library/PreferencePanes/Spelling.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/cocoAspell)

Appendix A Copying This Manual

A.1 GNU Free Documentation License

                       Version 1.2, November 2002

    etc.

--
There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists.
If it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>