[OS X TeX] Tiger, PDF and embedded QT files

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon May 2 16:09:59 EDT 2005

Something for the PDF gurus on the list

I have a pdf file with an embedded QT movie (created easymovie, the
QT file is 3ivx encoded and plays nicely with QT player). ON 10.3.x
the only app which could show this movie properly was Acrobat (resp.
Adobe Reader). Now, with Tiger I expected that also Preview would be
able to do so. To my big surprise Preview fails to display anyting,
instead of the movie it just shows a gray square.

To my even bigger surprise, Adobe Reader (and Acrobat Pro) also fail
to display the movie on Tiger. They both show the poster image
properly, but when I want to play the movie, I get a requester
telling me that I should install the proper media player. The app
then takes me to Apple's side to download Quicktime.

So what's going on here? Can Preview display embedded movies? Doesn't
Acrobat interact with QT7?

Insights aprreciated.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>