[OS X TeX] OT: effective Macintosh Trojan in the wild

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu May 5 02:51:46 EDT 2005

Le 5 mai 05 à 08:44, Thomas A. Schmitz a écrit :

> This being said: I've stayed away from all Norton products since
> the advent of OS X, and my computing exeprience has been a lot
> smoother. Even on Mac OS 9, the latest atavars of Norton System
> Works were extremely unstable and dangerous; with OS X, it was
> disastrous.

Same with me: I have always disliked their tendency to reinvent the
OS (read: interfere with its operation), and make it a hell slower.
(Ever tried on OS 7 to activate this functionality keeping a trace of
all files created and put to the trash, for later restoring if
needed? With it, very file suppression took about a second, imagine
when you were deleting a whole directory.)

As an antivirus on OS X I only used Virex, and actually purchased
my .Mac subscription essentially to get it. With Tiger Apple
recommend against it (by saying it's only for Panther), though
without telling the why.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>