[OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Gordon Sick sick at ucalgary.ca
Thu May 5 22:24:09 EDT 2005

Maarten,
     Thanks for your prompt reply. Your suggestion doesn't seem to
work, comments below:

On 5-May-05, at 6:00 PM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and
> Lucida doesn't
> From: "Maarten Sneep" <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl>
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 14:09:35 +0200

[snip]
> I noticed that LaTeXiT includes the fonts in ansi encoding. I thought
> you reported that LaTeXiT produced output that could be read by
> Illustrator. Since LaTeXiT has a bug that prevents a change of the
> preamble (at least I couldn't get it to work), I have no idea if
> there is something LaTeXiT does to enable this type of use.

I now think that the LaTeXiT issue is a red herring. I only got it to
work with CMR fonts (i.e. it produced output that I could properly
open in Illustrator. I can do the same with TeXShop. I didn't think I
could even do that with TeXShop before (with the CMR fonts), so my
interest in this issue was resurrected by my partial success.

>> Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should look to
>> figure out how to get the Y&Y Lucida fonts being treated the same
>> as the CMR fonts in Illustrator?
>>

> I have no idea to get them treated the same. I _think_ it has to do
> with the encoding, which is tricky, no matter how you look at it. Do
> you need to _edit_ the text in Illustrator, or do you merely need to
> _use_ the resulting image?
Outlining the fonts is sort of OK. I don't need to edit the result (I
want to be able to label diagrams, and want LateX to build the
labels). By outlining, I assume that they won't render on screen as
nicely, because they lose their hinting. But, I would expect it all
to print fine, so this is worth pursuing.

> If it is the latter, you can remove the
> fonts (and replace them by their outlines) and include the result in
> Illustrator. The following call to GhostScript should do the trick:
>
> gs -dNOPAUSE -dNOCACHE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
>          -sOutputFile=your-output-file.pdf \
>          your-source-file.pdf
>
> The -dNOCACHE should remove all fonts, and simply draw the outlines
> instead. There is no (easy) way to edit the resulting text, but at
> the very least you can include the result in Illustrator.
I tried this. I assume that the backslashes are escapes to new lines,
as when I copy such lines from the terminal, the Terminal spreads
them out on one line.

Here is the output I get from one of many attempts:
Gordons-PB:~ gsick$ gs -dNOPAUSE -dNOCACHE -dBATCH -
sDEVICE=pdfwrite          -sOutputFile=/Users/gsick/Desktop/Scratch/
Scratch3H.pdf          /Users/gsick/Desktop/Scratch/Scratch3.pdf
AFPL Ghostscript 8.51 (2005-04-18)
Copyright (C) 2005 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Processing pages 1 through 1.
Page 1

The command line is all on one line and my paste has put in the
underscore _
Anyway, this leaves me with fonts (I can see and select them in
Preview). And, Illustrator still seems to complain that it can't find
the Lucida fonts and substitutes for them.

> HTMH,
>
> Maarten

Thanks for your help, Maarten. I should try to find some
documentation for Ghostscript, to see why I didn't get the outlines.

It is amazing that the platform that is #1 for graphics (Mac OS X)
and the premiere vector drawing program (Illustrator) and the
premiere typesetting engine (LaTeX) are all incompatible in this way.

It is particularly frustrating that this works for CMR, but not for
the Lucida.
--cheers, Gordon
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>