[OS X TeX] TeXShop on Tiger: Reply to Bruno

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Fri May 6 13:45:03 EDT 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Richard Koch wrote:

> In general I don't like to clutter up the mailing list with messages
> about a mere front end.

Personally, I think that this is one of the most appropriate topics for
this list.

Here are my $0.02 on some of the other questions.

> In Preview, command[ and command] are shortcuts for Back and Forward.
> It would be trivial to implement that, but unfortunately TeXShop
> already uses these shortcuts for Indent and Comment. So a first
> question for users: can I change the shortcuts for Indent, Comment,
> Unindent, and Uncomment, and if so what should I use?

Since % is the TeX comment character, maybe Cmd-5 and Cmd-% for comment
and uncomment? (Note: I don't use these keyboard shortcuts.)

> Since I don't use editors which work like this, I have some really
> elementary questions. If I'm typing a line and it gets too long, the
> cursor reaches back to a word ending and moves the text after that
> word to the next line. But what happens if I edit in the middle of a
> line? Do words at the end sort of dribble down to their own lines?
> What happens if I copy and paste? Do lines get reformatted? Etc. Etc.
> Pretty soon, what sounds like a simple change requires modifications
> all over the place.

Emacs, as I recall, does this by making <space> be smart. If the user
types <space> beyond a certain column, a new line character is
substituted. Again, IIRC correctly, emacs punts on auto-reflowing text
that is inserted or typed in the middle of the line. It has a
wrap-region command to manually fix these.

Personally, I wouldn't advise you to worry about this too much; this is
what that <return> key is for :-). But, if you wanted to make <space>
smart as above and implement a wrap-selection command, that would be
sufficient for me. Going much beyond that seems like it would lead to
lots of headaches with math mode and intelligently parsing the TeX
source for wrapping purposes. It doesn't seem to me (easy to say!) that
making <space> smart would be too hard.

> This would be trivial to implement. TeXShop does use NSTextView, and
> so in a sense these already work. The trouble is that Cmd-click
> has been overridden for synchronization. Is there a reasonable
> substitute for Cmd-click for synchronization?

Cmd-double click?

Chris

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>