[OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun May 8 06:01:19 EDT 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 2:34 AM, Gordon Sick wrote:

> Thanks for your help. Indeed, forcing output of eps does force the
> fonts to become outlined and I can work with this.
>
> As I investigate this, I am perplexed and intrigued by the following:
> 1.    This problem occurs with the Y&Y Lucida fonts converted to be
> used in TeTeX (using the instructions on this list), but it does
> not occur with the CMR fonts that AMS distributes.
>
> 2.    I think that those CMR fonts were originally created by Blue
> Sky Research and they started as the postscript distribution that
> went with Textures-- I used that to learn Latex.

If you use i-Installer to install your TeX, then you use the fonts
that come with it. Those were indeed created by Blue Sky, but to unix
specifications (although not the Y&Y specific TeX-n-ANSI encoding).
Myabe that is the key difference.

> 3.    Blue Sky also distributes Lucida and I wonder if they
> distribute them in a way that works like CMR (and does't have the
> problem). Moreover, I noticed on BSR's website a note that they had
> talked with Apple about the encoding problem and that the encoding
> problem might be fixed with Tiger.

As far as I know, the two sets are _exactly_ the same. CMR is
available in more encodings (with the aid of virtual fonts), and one
of them may do the trick.

> 4.    I've run this example with both Tiger and TexShop 2.0 and
> Panther and TexShop 1.36 and I get the same results in both cases.
> That is, if I typeset Latex in CMR, the resulting pdf can be opened
> by Illustrator CS and it displays the fonts as CMR -- that means
> they are hinted for display and that some editing of the text is
> possible. But, if I typeset Latex in Lucida, the resulting pdf
> cannot be opened by Illustrator CS unless I either outline the font
> (as per Maarten's instructions), or accept some font substitution
> for Lucida.
>
>     This all begs the question of what is the difference between
> the encoding of Lucida and CMR, and whether the Lucida encoding can
> be changed to work like CMR?

I'm not sure I want to figure that out (especially since I don't have
illustrator, Create with Linkback combined with a tool that supports
it (TeXType at the moment) is just too cool). The replacement trick
works regardless of the exact font, have you tried Utopia+Fourier?

Maarten
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>