[OS X TeX] Man and info pages in gwTeX

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun May 8 11:55:28 EDT 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 08:23, Bernhard Barkow wrote:

> On 8. Mai 2005, at 16:39, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

>>> Are there specific reasons why info and man pages are not added
>>> to the corresponding default paths, in the same way as for the
>>> bin executables, when the TeX and GS i-Packages are installed? Is
>>> this security-connected?
>>>

>> ISTR that you are no longer supposed to set MANPATH directly, as
>> the system handles this for you by searching next to bin
>> directories (e.g. if your PATH has /usr/local/bin, it will search /
>> usr/local/man automatically).  See the manual pages for manpath or
>> man(1).  I find that even though the manpath command reports /usr/
>> local/teTeX/man as part of the search path, I don't get any teTeX
>> man pages unless I add /usr/local/teTeX/bin to PATH.  Is this a
>> Tiger-only problem?
>>

> Hi,
>
> that's no solution for you, but just FYI: my path contains only /
> usr/local/teTeX, not /usr/local/teTeX/bin, manpath also reports /
> usr/local/teTeX/man - but man finds the correct man page files.

My path (before I added /usr/local/teTeX/bin) contains /usr/local/
teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current, which might mess up the
manpath?  I'm not sure what heuristic it uses to search alongside bin
directories.

> I did a clean install of Tiger, and reinstalled teTeX over the old
> installation (it's not on the OS partition), so I guess it's not
> directly Tiger-related?

I have a clean (erase install) of Tiger.

> Stupid question: are your man pages in the correct loacation
> (e.g., /usr/local/teTeX/man/man1/latex.1)?

Yes, and since I added /usr/local/teTeX/bin I can read them as well.

--
Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>