[OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 10 04:52:09 EDT 2005

Le 10 mai 05 à 06:03, Gordon Sick a écrit :

> , I have also installed the yandy font folder (with folders for
> lubright, lucida, lumath, etc in it) in my
> /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Fonts folder

I'm not sure that can help. On the BSR disks, the fonts are in
Classic font format (FFIL screen font suitcases and LWFN printer font
files) and must go inside /System Folder/Fonts.

> I don't have the Blue Sky fonts, and, in particular, I don't have
> the ones that Bruno Voisin mentioned. I might ask Blue Sky whether
> they think this might work with TeTeX in OS X. I'm a little
> reluctant to contact them since TeTeX is essentially a competitor
> to Textures....

I have the standard Lucida font set from BSR installed. See below
what's observed in Illustrator 10. I tried to install the alternative
Lucida Math screen fonts ("Ord" set, instead of "TeX" set, as
described in my previous message): that doesn't change a thing.

> I'll close off with the code that I'm typesetting and the log file:
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
> % Use Lucida fonts. Comment out the item below to use CMR
> \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[expert,altbullet]{lucidabr}
>
> \begin{document}
> Test2 \emph{some italics}
> \textbf{some bold face}
> $\gamma \epsilon \Sigma  = \frac{c}{d}$
> \end{document}

Thanks for your example. I tried to typeset it in TeXShop, with four
different settings: pdfTeX, TeX & GhostScript with GhostScript
distiller (/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf), TeX & GhostScript with Apple
distiller (/usr/bin/pstopdf), XeTeX. They all give different results.
My setup is Tiger, Illustrator 10, gwTeX with 2005 devel. The fonts
are all included as embedded subsets.

- With pdfTeX, the resulting PDF is said by Adobe Reader 7 to contain:

     LucidaBright: Custom encoding
     LucidaBright-Demi: Custom encoding
     LucidaBright-Italic: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewmath-AltItalic: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Roman: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Symbol: Custom encoding

and Illustrator 10 refuses to open it, reporting:

     Could not create internal representation of XAP metadata

- With TeX + GS distiller:

     LucidaBright: ANSI encoding
     LucidaBright-Demi: ANSI encoding
     LucidaBright-Italic: ANSI encoding
     LucidaNewmath-AltItalic: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Roman: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Symbol: Custom encoding

and Illustrator 10 opens the file but the characters corresponding to
"\gamma \epsilon \Sigma" aren't displayed.

- With TeX + Apple distiller:

     LucidaBright: ANSI encoding
     LucidaBright-Demi: ANSI encoding
     LucidaBright-Italic: ANSI encoding
     LucidaNewmath-AltItalic: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Roman: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Symbol: ANSI encoding

and Illustrator 10 opens the file but the characters corresponding to
"\gamma \epsilon \Sigma" aren't displayed and the character "=" is
replaced by "\Im".

- With XeTeX:

     LucidaBright: Roman encoding
     LucidaBright-Demi: Roman encoding
     LucidaBright-Italic: Roman encoding
     LucidaNewmath-AltItalic: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewmath-AltItalic: Roman encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Roman: Custom encoding
     LucidaNewMath-Symbol: Roman encoding

and Illustrator 10 opens the file but the characters corresponding to
"\gamma \epsilon \Sigma =" are replaced by "\omega \epsilon \omega \Im".

Thus it all seems to boil down to encoding issues. I remember vaguely
hearing on this list that Illustrator has problems with the encodings
of TeX fonts in PDF files; not sure whether there's a solution.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>