[OS X TeX] Tiger -- some cautions & caveats

Rene Borgella macmechanic at fastmail.fm
Thu May 12 20:17:57 EDT 2005

Dear Folks:

Please excuse the fact that this is definitely
not a TeX issue in any way, but because it's a
Mac OS X posting, I hope you'll consider it
appropriate.  If you don't use Tiger, aren't
considering doing so in the near future, or
perhaps are just not interested, then don't read
any further.   Otherwise, here's the deal . . .
(from MacInTouch.com, other sources on the net
have been reporting the same problems).

Widget Users--

Dashboard widgets may be points of entry for malware . . .

"This page discusses a security flaw resulting
from a series of bad design choices in Safari and
Dashboard in OS X 10.4, and links to a
demonstration exploit."
<http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~aaron/files/widgets/>

Also at:
<http://64.70.134.217/widgets/zaptastic/>
<http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/08/2131208>
<http://rixstep.com/1/20050509,01.html>
<http://rixstep.com/2/20050510,00.html>

Possible Data Loss-- (Also relevant to HFSX
"Extended Attributes" mentioned the other day)

"Apple has a critical warning about the
possibility of data loss using pre-Tiger
utilities with the new operating system:"

"Mac OS X 10.4 adds support for Extended
Attributes. A disk repair application that's not
Mac OS X 10.4-aware may incorrectly report
Extended Attributes as directory damage. You may
get an error message such as "Cannot be rebuilt.
The original directory is too severely damaged"
that is untrue."

I've seen a few reports of this and the problem
isn't apparent until you open up and try to use
the sparse image.

HTH

René

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>