[OS X TeX] xetex, bibdesk and bibtex?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat May 14 10:26:58 EDT 2005

On May 14, 2005, at 03:54, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 14 mai 05 à 10:10, Jonas Wellendorf a écrit :
>

>> På 14. mai. 2005 kl. 07.43 skrev Bruno Voisin:

> Again this may or may not be related with your problem, but
> searching my XeTeX list mailbox I found the following message, from
> almost a year ago. That was before the "mapping=tex-text" mechanism
> was introduced; hence, to be handled with care.
>
> That said, the problem may as well be caused by the way BibDesk
> saves .bib files. I tried opening with BibDesk a .bib file from the
> doc of a package I use, editing one of the references by changing
> "--" to an UTF-8 en-dash "–" (Shift-Alt-- on my French keyboard),
> saving the result in UTF-8 encoding and opening this saved .bib
> file in a text editor: in the file, the "--" that I had changed to
> "–" still appears as "--". I'm not experienced with BibDesk at all,
> thus I may not have been doing what I think I did, but it seems
> BibDesk converts "–" to "--" upon saving, and similarly “ to `` and
> ” to ''. This ensures maximum compatibility with traditional TeX
> engines, but imposes the use of "mapping=tex-text" or [Mapping=tex-
> text] with XeTeX.

Bruno is quite correct; BibDesk will convert these characters to
traditional TeX forms by default.  You can uncheck the "Convert
accented characters to TeX when exporting or pasting BibTeX" checkbox
in BibDesk's Files preferences (where you change the encoding).  If
you're using XeLaTeX, you have no need for this feature.

--
Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>