[OS X TeX] Crossrefs in BibDesk?

Michael McCracken michael_mccracken at mac.com
Wed May 18 17:16:39 EDT 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 12:50 PM, Curtis Clifton wrote:

> Please note that I don't intend here to cast any aspersions if no
> one decides to take this on.  "Theoretically easy" does not equal
> "practically easy"---let alone interesting, fun, or motivating for
> a volunteer coder.  Maybe I'll have time to work on a patch after
> my dissertation is done (6 weeks!).  As much benefit as I've gotten
> from BibDesk, I really should try to give something back.

Curt has hit the nail on the head here. The results from the
discussion on the bibdesk mailing list a while back were that we do
understand what it'll take to add this support, it's neither trivial
nor terribly hard, and nobody volunteered to do it. Because of it,
1.0 will go out without it. However, this could easily make it in for
a 1.1 release if someone volunteers.

There are currently three active developers on the project, and I
believe none of us have particularly complicated bib files. Writing
code for features one doesn't personally use often results in bad
design, especially in interface design, and I'd like to avoid that
with BibDesk.

That's why I really appreciate the effort Matthias and Curt gone to
to explain the details of what crossref support entails, and for the
suggestions of how to implement it. There is now a good amount of
info on the feature request tracker for someone to pick it up and add
the functionality, assuming they know BibDesk's internals, which of
course we're always happy to re-learn in order to explain to someone
new.

If you are interested in tracking the progress of this issue, either
bookmark the following link or visit it and sign up to monitor it.
(To monitor it you need a free sourceforge account): http://
bibdesk.sf.net/track.php?rfe=1175264

Thanks for all the feedback!
-mike