[OS X TeX] [OT] Tiger

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri May 27 17:02:21 EDT 2005

On 27 May 2005, at 15:57, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> P.S. In all previous reincarnations of OS X I was able to get away
> with a nice stable system by simply doing an Update. With Tiger I
> ended up doing an Archive & Install because of the horrible
> instability I was seeing. Spending most of a day figuring out what
> I had to carry over from the Previous System folder was a pain but
> things where better although one more thing really helped out (and
> Spotlight helped me find the information which I forgot I had!).
> Delete everything in your ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ directory.
> Anything that is needed will be recreated. I had to reset a few
> Preferences, e.g., my Screen Saver, but things have been much
> better since I did that.

For Tiger Server update is currently the only way. Apple also offers
a 'migration' set of instructions, but these are buggy as well (e.g.
you install a fresh Tiger server and find out that the mail system
cannot handle nor convert your old mail database you want to migrate,
something that does work under Update because then it converts when
the old programs are still around. I provide mail services for a few
family members, so I need to be careful not to corrupt their mail.

Let's hope a 10.4.1 Full CD will find its way to my snail mail box soon.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>