[OS X TeX] X11

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Fri May 27 17:17:01 EDT 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 4:57 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On 27 May 2005, at 17:39, Rodrigo Banuelos wrote:
>
>> I am sure the following problem has come up (and solved) before
>> but I have not been able to find it in the list. I installed Tex
>> (using
>> Gerben Wierda's i-installer) on a new machine before installing
>> Apple's
>> X11.  Now, when I type "latex", "tex" or xdvi on an X11 terminal I
>> get back
>> "bash: latex: command not found," and the same for the others.  I
>> know this
>> to do with bash vs tcsh but, what is the permanent solution?
>
> It does not have to do with bash vs tcsh. The problem is that xterm
> does not create login shells, but subshells only and as a result parts
> of the initialization (e.g. /etc/csh.login) are not read at all. Since
> the TeX i-Package has modified the shell login scripts, you do not get
> the right PATH.
>
> The solutions in the other replies (re-run TeX i-Package configure)
> will not help.
>
> There is (or at least I do not know) no generic file I could patch for
> X11 that would change this for *all* users. And the TeX install I
> provide is multi-user.
>
> Maybe some X11 guru can finally tell me how to do this system-wide.
> Maybe there is some personal .xinit file where you can change
> environment settings. I do not use X11, so I do not have the
> knowledge.

Not a real solution, but there is no reason to run a shell from within
X11.  Xterm looks bad and anything you need to do within X can be done
from an Apple terminal window as long as the DISPLAY environmental
variable is set properly.  IMO, time would be better served modifying
startx to *not* automatically start xterm in the first place, that way
there is no temptation to use it.

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>