[OS X TeX] Is there a bigpdflatex?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun May 29 09:17:10 EDT 2005

On 29 May 2005, at 14:20, Michael Hoppe wrote:

>> What is the exact error you get? Do you get an error from TeX
>> itself? (this is before the piece you posted in the previous mail).
>>

> <fh-pics.pdf, id=54, page=1, 265.68259pt x 183.10408pt>
> <use fh-pics.pdf, page 1>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [PDF memory size (pdf_mem_size)=65536].
> <argument> ...lpcode font at name MT at char =@tempcntb
>
> So pdf_mem_size seems to be the right parameter ...  But one cannot
> find it in any texmf.cnf, though.

Yes, that seems to be the right parameter. Searching for this
parameter in Google suggests that it can be increased.

syntax (just to be sure):

pdf_mem_size = 524288

(or just simply the double amount compared to the default 65536, this
value was suggested for Context, a known memory hog).

Add the line to the file /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf and save the
file. Then a "sudo fmtutil --all" must be issued from an
administrator accout to actually get the bigger array in the TeX
format files.

Do you have a minimal test file that shows the problem? I've never
encountered it, even though I've used font expansion before.

Maarten
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>