[OS X TeX] Multicol help

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon May 30 16:30:42 EDT 2005

Am 30.05.2005 um 21:25 schrieb Christopher Allen:

> The other problem, which from what I said does sound more similar to
> what you offered, isn't solved by avoiding wrapping. In one case I
> have 70 items of the same size placed in 3 columns. In the second case
> this is reduced to 50 items. With 70 items they are separated into
> columns of 24, 24, and 22; with 50 items they are separated into
> columns of 17, 17, and 16. I would like the 22 (or 16) items in the
> third column to line up with the first 22 (or 16) items in the other
> two columns. Originally extra spacing was placed between the items of
> the third column. Setting finalcolumnbadness to -1 made this work with
> 70 items: there third column ends with the 22nd item lined up with the
> 22nd items from the other two columns. However, this did nothing for
> the 50 item group. It seems like it should have worked, based on both
> the documentation and the success with the 70 item group, but it does
> not.

If I understand you right, you three columns containing enumerated
lists each. What you don't like, is that the items are output like

	1.a	1.b
			1.c
	2.d	2.e
			2.f
	3.g	3.h

Have you tried to put the lists into the top regions of \parboxes with
a given height that build the table? Something like ...

\begin{longtable}{lll}
\parbox[t][4cm]{5cm}{
   \begin{enumerate}
   \item L
   \item L
   \item L
   \item L
   \end{enumerate}
} & \parbox[t][4cm]{5cm}{
   \begin{enumerate}
   \item C
   \item C
   \item C
   \item C
   \end{enumerate}
} & \parbox[t][4cm]{5cm}{
   \begin{enumerate}
   \item R
   \item R
   \end{enumerate}
}\\
\end{longtable}

--
Greetings

   Pete

"engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs"

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>