[OS X TeX] Fatal format file error - pdflatex.fmt doesn't match pdfetex.pool

Hemant Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Tue Nov 1 15:44:15 EST 2005

Hi -

I just installed tetex (the "TeX" package from Gerben's site) - and I
get the following error on running it :

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
---! /Users/hemantb/Library/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.fmt doesn't match
pdfetex.pool
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

I reinstalled TeX a couple of times. Then I tried rebuilding the
formats using fmutil -- all . I also had to fix directory permissions
for ls-R files. But even after all that I still get the same error.

I can't quite figure out what's going on. The only difference with
other occasions where I installed tetex is : this time when I set up
the new machine, I had it "get information" about my accounts from
the previous machine through a firewire connection. Perhaps something
is set differently?

At any rate, can someone suggest how to fix it? I hate to have to
reinstall everything from scratch.

Thanks

- Hemant