[OS X TeX] TeXniscope and pdfsync

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Nov 10 06:41:09 EST 2005

On Nov 10, 2005, at 4:22 AM, Thomas Schröder wrote:

> Am 01.11.2005 um 12:28 schrieb Joseph C. Slater:
>
>> Have you tried to set up synchronization between TextMate and
>> either TeXShop or iTeXMac? They can both use external viewers.
>> This might help in the short run.
>
> Sorry, I didn't answer right away, but I've been kept busy...
> Anyways, I tried both TeXShop and iTeXMac. With iTeXMac I tried
> both version 1.4 and beta 6. But no dice with any of them. Either
> I'm being thick here, or synchronization doesn't really work with
> external editors in TeXShop nor iTeXMac, at least with TextMate.
>
> With TeXShop nothing happens at all, when command-clicking anywhere
> with external editor enabled. With external editor disabled,
> everything works flawlessly. I think TeXShop's implementation of
> the use of external editors is to be just able to use it as a
> compiler aid and automatic reload which probably is enough for most
> people considering that Acrobat Reader doesn't offer neither.
>
> With iTeXMac 1.4 I'm taken to the right chapter, but nowhere near I
> clicked in the preview pane. Again, with external editor disabled,
> everything works just fine.
>
> With iTeXMac 2 preview 6 I had some difficulty figuring out how it
> actually works and gave up in the end. I can create projects and
> typeset and all, but whenever I try to have a look at the preview,
> all I get is preview's settings pane.

Well, I've had it working with iTeXMac in the past (with Emacs in X),
so, did you make sure you're using the latest pdfsync.sty (sorry if
that's an insulting question). It sounds like you have either a file
that pdfsync isn't parsing well, or an older version of pdfsync (the
first few missed a few marks... in a long document, I think they
accumulate).

Try making up a dummy account on your machine and setting it up
there. I've sometimes found that something weird can happen in your
own account and trying another account is a good way to test for it.

I'd be happy to try your project out on my machine to see if synch
works for me. Unless you have another example document that fails, I
think this is the path you will likely have to take (with me or
someone else).