[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1553 - 11/12/05

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 14 14:35:39 EST 2005

On 14 Nov 2005, at 10:12, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

>> MS> I assume there are good reasons to use an eps file. What you
>> can try,  at
>> MS> least for the writing version is to convert the figure to jpeg
>> at  a
>> MS> reasonable resolution and high quality. This figure can then
>> be  translated
>> MS> into eps again (make sure you do not overwrite the  original
>> file, you have
>> MS> been warned!). You can do this with  ImageMagick's convert.
>> The final eps
>> MS> should be able to just include  the jpeg as is, postscript
>> level 2 can do
>> MS> this - others will probably  start to tell us about the most
>> optimal tools.
>
> I wouldn't use jpeg for this kind of picture. Jpeg isn't good with
> sharp
> lines. PNG or other lossless formats would be better.

I'm aware of that, but jpeg can be included very efficiently inside
an eps file, and I'm not aware
that png can be included in the same way, leading to a needlessly
large intermediate eps file.

Of course, if the OP can switch to a pdf(la)tex based workflow, png
would be much better as
it can be included directly by pdftex.

Maarten