[OS X TeX] tex files and mdimport

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Mon Nov 14 15:02:36 EST 2005

Folks,

Adam Maxwell wrote

>> I don't think they should have been searched in the first place,
>> so Spotlight is probably working (more) correctly now.  I wrote up
>> a trivial importer that indexes .tex files by file content,
>> \author, and \title.  Any other LaTeX commands that would be worth
>> trying to parse for metadata?  If this would be useful, I'll
>> release it under a BSD license as part of the mactextoolbox (if
>> Maarten is agreeable).

and Gary Gray wrote

> Maybe I am crazy (actually, I know I am, but that is for another
> topic), but I would like to see it index everything in the .tex
> file. Is there a reason this shouldn't be done?

I believe Adam intended to do that; he'll pull out the content, but
he'll separately pull out "author" and "title"
information.

My only fear is that there will end up being several tex indexers;
let's try to avoid that by adopting one, say
Adams. I'd like to distribute it with TeXShop, so I hope your license
scheme permits that and permits similar
distribution by other front ends, etc.

Dick