[OS X TeX] Re: .tex and mdimport

Norm Gall gall at spookyhill.net
Thu Nov 17 10:12:50 EST 2005

On 17-Nov-05, at 6:28 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2005, at 6:32 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The problem is that there's no SpotLight importer other than LaTeX
>> MDIMporter, which requires yaced (Yet Another Carbon Emacs
>> Distribution) <http://yaced.sourceforge.net/>.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> It seems to work as a separate mdimporter (in /Library/Spotlight/)
> since I don't have YACED. I downloaded the installer; had it place
> the importer on my Desktop (it still forced me to restart --- silly);

It shouldn't have forced you to re-start; the master installer (the
entire installation) forces you to log out (too many people were
complaining that the icons didn't change when they installed yaced,
so I simply made it happen). Sorry about that; that would be my error.

> put it in /Library/Spotlight/; restarted again (for good luck); did a
>
> mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/LaTeX.mdimporter
>
> and, at least the .tex files in my home directory seemed to get
> indexed. I later re-indexed /usr/local/teTeX to get those files
> indexed too.

Hmmm... Perhaps there was some work I did for the separate release
that I do not recall.

When you do an mdimport -d3, what UTI is being assigned to the tex
files?

> I still wonder if I can simply replace this importer with the
> ``official'' one, when it comes out, and force a re-index. Might
> have to do a
>
> mdutil -E /
>
> and wait, and wait, ...

Well, if an 'official' one ever gets released, that answer is yes.

ng

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

"Come, let us go. Let us leave this festering hellhole. Let us think the
unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the
ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -- Douglas
Adams