[OS X TeX] jobname and umlauts

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 16:10:01 EST 2005

On 18/11/2005, at 7:43 AM, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> In this example hällö.tex \jobname produces wrong umlauts. What can
> I do, to get right umlauts?
>
> ===== 8>< =====
> %% filename hällo.tex
> %%
> \documentclass{ltxdoc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \begin{document}
> \jobname
> \end{document}
> ===== ><8 =====

The filename, as stored in \jobname, is not encoded with T1-encoding,
so you will get garbage this way.

If you really need this, you will have to change the document encoding.

For example, this works fine with XeLaTeX:

> ===== 8>< =====
%% filename hällö.tex
%%
\documentclass{ltxdoc}
   \usepackage{fontspec}
   \setromanfont{Georgia}
%\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\begin{document}
\jobname
\end{document}
> ===== ><8 =====

This avoids the garbage with LaTeX, but you lose the umlauts:

%% filename hällo.tex
%%
\documentclass{ltxdoc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
\jobname
\end{document}

Others may have better ideas of what combination of encoding-related
packages way work.
Personally I'd avoid non-ascii filenames, or try out XeTeX.

> TIA and kind regards. Friedrich

Hope this helps.

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au