[OS X TeX] RE: Newbie TeTex font installation

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Nov 18 08:16:37 EST 2005

Am 18.11.2005 um 02:20 schrieb Jeff Genung:

> I am disappointed that Thomas Schmitz says that using a new font in
> LaTeX is
> not difficult, then presents a 16 page set of instructions on how to
> do it.
> YES, it is difficult, it is very difficult.

True, for what in the end comes out, it is a bit unsatisfactory. When I
want to return to the lining digits I would have to make a new font
installation. And the document can't have both at the same time.

But this is ConTeXt: you sea a brilliant idea realised. But when it
comes to using it, it's often very hard to find out, how to do it right
and in the end it's not really that what you wanted.

Jeff, since pdfTeX can't make much use of TrueType fonts, it's enough
to write down the MAP file entries like I mentioned last time and
create the FD (Font Description) files by editing an existing one and
saving it under the new name. You won't have fake Small Caps and you
won't have artificially slanted variants of seriffed upright fonts. You
can't expand nor compress the fonts neither, so no microtype!

> If someone would like to write a simple set of instructions I would
> like to
> see it, to add either a TT font or a postscript font, but as for me
> I'll let
> another year pass where everything I've written has been in what was
> already
> installed.

What's the use in intensively describing how to manage to get almost
nothing out of pdfTeX and TrueType fonts?

*That's my self-made opnion! Anynone is allowed to change it! (Indeed I
have some more.)*

Once you've made the MAP entries and created the FD files, you won't be
able to set many non-US ASCII glyphs! Although you have chosen a t1 or
texnansi input or font encoding. And you're lost when the TTF file is
faulty (as in case of one Lucida font file from Java and another font I
met), there doesn't seem to be a way to correct this. And as Thomas
Schmitz emphasises so much on glyph names: you're lost again when the
font uses non-standard names for x or 8.

Actually I would like to see what ConTeXt can do with nfssfont.tex or
fontsmpl.tex when using the TrueType font it has recently installed!
nfssfont.tex needs to be used as '<some tex> nfssfont.tex < <file with
input>'. These input line are described in the LaTeX Companion and
might look like:

	<empty first line>
	T1
	lat
	10
	\bigtest\init

	T1
	lat
	10
	\bigtest\bye

Here a local installation on American Typewriter is used in T1 font
encoding to get the the normal shapes of the regular and bold variants.
If you want to see what American Typewriter offers in Text Companion
encoding, just substitute T1 with TS1. The \bigtest has some text
samples which contain diacritics too. So it gives a strong testimony.

But what is the cryptic command line for this effort?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.