[OS X TeX] Large Figure in Document? (and slow response of TeXShop)

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 21:50:12 EST 2005

On 11/13/05, Jan Hegewald <rurapente at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 13.11.2005 um 03:08 schrieb Axel E. Retif:
>
> > \documentclass[draft]{book}
>
> Or you can enable draft only for the large eps via draft=true as an
> option for the \includegraphics comand, e.g. \includegraphics
> [draft=true]{yourlargefile}.
>
> HTH,
> --Jan--

Thanks everyone for the very helpful reply, especially the "draft"
command. I wasn't able to check messages until now.

Creating a bitmap (or other format) version of the eps figures are
also helpful. There are, however, several complaints I'd like to vent:

1. I have used Illustrator to reduce the size of the eps figures down
to 3 MB, and the preview (in TeXShop after compilation, or invoked by
Preview directly) still draws it slower than a snail. Most of times
they actually showed "non-responding" in their Dock icon, and I had to
force quit.

2. After several compilations, TeXShop became non-responsive. I wonder why?

3. Ironically, the almost-deleted Adobe Acrobat Reader actually
renders the figure fairly fast. Admittedly the figure are in a
low-resolution mode, but that suits my purpose. I wish there's an
option in Preview and TeXShop preview window allowing users to choose
if low resolution figures should be displayed instead.

4. Is there anyway to "disable" the PDF showing in TeXShop after
compilation? For this document with large figures, I actually want to
show the compiled PDF in Acrobat Reader for reasons above.

Thanks.

Cordially,
JT