[OS X TeX] Large Figure in Document? (and slow response of TeXShop)

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Tue Nov 22 06:19:50 EST 2005

>JS> Piet, I saved the figures still into eps format, but GraphicConverter
>JS> used JPEG compression to reduce the size. Do you mean that I should go
>JS> (original) eps -> PNG -> eps?

The JPEG compression introduces the fuzziness, at least in diagrams with
sharp lines and edges, unless you set the quality to 100%. With lower
quality it is more suited for photographic material or similar.

>BB> PNG compression is not supported in EPS format, as far as I know, but  you
>BB> can choose "Compression: None" or "RLE" (lossless) in  Graphicconverter
>BB> (Options... in the Save As-dialog). The file size  will be significantly
>BB> larger than with JPEG, but still reasonable, I  assume. Make sure to first
>BB> select the appropriate color depth if you  don't need full color, since
>BB> this will affect file size in that case  (contrary to using JPEG) (Menu:
>BB> Picture / Colors / Grayscale / 4  Grays, for example).

Postscript level 3 has Flate Encoding which is the same compression that PNG
uses.

Imagemagick's convert command can generate compact eps files from PNG.
Officially this should be done with the -compress zip option, but I got
smaller files with -compress LZW, like this:

convert -compress LZW pict.png eps2:pict.eps or
convert -compress LZW pict.png eps2:pict.eps
This uses LZW encoding, however, instead of Flate. You need an Imagemagick
compiled with LZW (this should pose no problems nowadays as the LZW patent
has expired).
Also bmeps is said to convert to Flate encoding.

See Compressed Images in PostScript and PDF with LaTeX HOWTO
<http://wwwstud.rz.uni-leipzig.de/~mai95cfw/compressed-images-in-PS-PDF/article.pdf>
or
<http://wwwstud.rz.uni-leipzig.de/~mai95cfw/compressed-images-in-PS-PDF/article.html>

--