[OS X TeX] OT: LaTeX under Linux?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 22 16:50:32 EST 2005

On 22 Nov 2005, at 16:38, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> With this said, a student has asked me about getting a nice (La)TeX
> installation running under Linux. He says that he has installed
> teTeX and TeXLive, but still feels that a large number of things
> (e.g., package, latin modern, etc.) are missing. Can someone point
> me to some resources that might help get him going with his TeX
> environment? For example, where does one install local files under
> Linux? Once they are installed, are there any paths that need to be
> added to configuration files so that TeX can find these local files?
>
> Any insights and pointers are appreciated.

The teTeX that comes with the Linux distribution is often very old,
and minimal. For Linux I wouldn't recommend to use a beta of MikTeX,
especially if TeXLive is close to Golden master. I don't know how
soon he wants the updates, but becoming a member of the tug should
resolve all issues within a few months, regardless of the exact OS.
Of course the tug will not resolve the issue, but the DVD that comes
as a benefit of the membership will do nicely.

A separate download, or an institutional membership (or a membership
of one of the staff) will get you a disc as well.

Maarten