[OS X TeX] beamer & multimedia/movie15

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Nov 23 19:03:24 EST 2005

Am 23.11.2005 um 23:00 schrieb Ingo Reich:

> I did so on my good old Pismo, and it seems as if this is not a
> problem of TL2004 vs. TL2005, but rather a problem of pdftex vs.
> altpdftex.

When your altpdftex or altpdflatex still works, then you can't be with
TeX Live 2005! In this release they recommend to use 'simpdftex latex'

Try in some shell (Terminal) 'which altpdftex' to find out whether you
are using some private copy or a script from Fink!

> When I run pdftex on the testfile everything works fine, but if I go
> the dvi --> ps --> pdf route (whether I use gs, version 8.13 or latest
> version, or apple's distiller, whether I use the TL2004 or the
> experimental 2005 setup), no links are available in the resulting
> pdf-file. Can you reproduce this behavior?

No. gs 8.51 works right, Apple's pstopdf fails, pdftex works right of
course.

>  If so, it seems that for some reason those multmedia-tools are from
> TL2004 on incompatible with dvips.

No! The problem could be your private installation of some LaTeX
packages. Look at the LOG file you sent with your first eMail: so many
STY files (beamer, pgf, xcolor) come from your private property. They
all come now with standard teTeX.
And a second no: it's not dvips' fault! dvips just sees a \special in
the DVI file and can't do anything with it, so it passes it unchanged
into its PS output:

	 -364 453 a 0
	TeXcolorgray Fa(bieten)p 0 TeXcolorgray -134 390 a
	SDict begin H.R end
	 -134
	390 a -134 453 a
	SDict begin [ /Subtype /Movie /Movie << /F
(PSTricks/auto/Tuxedomoon.Jingle4.wav)
	 >> /A <<     >> /T (mmdefaultlabel1) /Border [0 0 0] H.B /ANN pdfmark
	end

The SDict is contained in the DVI file as 'ps:' special with exactly
the same text. It's the 'distiller' that creates the special properties
in PDF file. (If it can.)

>  This probably means I have to convert my eps-file to pdf-files, wrap
> my pstricks-trees with pdftricks and use pdflatex, though I always
> hoped I could avoid that (which is why I never really followed those
> threads).

Ingo, given that it's *not* your private installation, you still can
install Ghostscript 8.51, and all could be right.

>  Could you maybe give me some hints on how to best convert my files,
> and how to include those graphics (instead of using smething like
> \includegraphics[height=6.5cm]{pictures/addsinewave.eps})?

To convert EPS to PDF you just drop them on TeXShop, AFAIR. In your
\includegraphics statement you save work by *not* including the file
name's extension. For PSTricks you should not need to care. PSTricks
first creates a DVI file only with specials: the included graphics
files and PostScript code. These files and PS code are then converted
to PDF, and finally it's pdfTeX that creates the output PDF file and
now includes the converted PDF instead of original graphics formats or
PS code. I think it all works automatically. ps4pdf mimics this
behaviour, so you can have an engine for this in TeXShop.

Can you put your phoneticstest outside your own texmf tree and rename
~/Library/texmf to ~/Library/texmf.zuvor and TeX it without your own
files? Could be this already works with old Ghostscript ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Der größte Aberglaube der Gegenwart ist der Glaube an die Vorfahrt.
(Jacques Tati)