[OS X TeX] where to put them ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Nov 24 12:56:00 EST 2005

Le 24 nov. 05 à 18:19, RS a écrit :

> I am trying to use teTex (invisible !) and iTexMax.
> The demo is working, but...
>
> I need to put a lot of format files
> in TeX inputs to compile my own files.
> But where is the folder ?
>
> Who knows the trick ?

I don't know how to compile formats in iTeXMac (being a TeXShop
user), but regarding where to put the files used to compile them:

- The easy way: inside ~/Library/texmf/tex/.

- The less easy way: inside /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/
(actually a symlink to the invisible directory /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/tex/).

The second way is the most consistent, given the files put there will
be available to all accounts on your Mac (in case there are several
accounts), and the format files will be created inside /Library/teTeX/
share/texmf.local/web2c/ anyway.

To move the files inside texmf.local, which is owned by root by
default, you can either:

- Use drag-and-drop from the Finder, in which case you'll be asked
for an administrator password.

- Use the Terminal and standard Unix commands such as mkdir, mv, cp
and so forth, prefaced by sudo. For example:

	sudo cp ~/Desktop/myinputfile.tex /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/
tex/plain/

Another way to determine where TeX and friends look for input files
is to use the command-line utility kpsewhich, for example:

	kpsewhich --show-path=tex

See /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/kpathsea.pdf, and
also, for the design of the TeX tree, /Library/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/doc/help/tds.dvi together with:

/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.howtexfindsfiles.txt /Library/
teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/README.texmf.gwtex.txt

By the way, many thanks for "Le petit livre de TeX", which was very
helpful and a source of inspiration at the time I discovered TeX
through Textures back in early 1992. And yes, the above is very far
from how simple and intuitive Textures used to be! That's the price
to pay for interoperability with TeX users on Linux and Windows...