[OS X TeX] How to set a path in OS X.4

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Nov 24 18:22:23 EST 2005

Le 24 nov. 05 à 23:41, Georg Verweyen a écrit :

> Maarten Sneep schrieb:
>
>> Did you repair the permissions with Disk Utility?
>>
> No. How can I?

Use /Utilities/Disk Utility, then select your disk, go to the First
Aid tab and click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.

>> I still recommend you install the ghostscript i-Package, but you
>> can  add the path to your .bashrc or .profile (I always forget
>> which is  best).
>>
>> export PATH="${PATH}:/usr/local/bin"
>
> Ah! Couldn't the Mac-Help point to this somehow?
> Hm ... not too surprisingly that didn't change anything on the
> pstopdf-thing running stuck.
>
> TeX on a Mac is a strange combination of graphical click'n'drop and
> Unix hacking ...

The path /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current to the TeX
binaries (tex, pdftex, dvips and so forth) is added to the standard
path in the "CLI Activation" step at the end of the installation of
the TeX i-Package.

The path /usr/local/bin to the Ghostscript binaries (and more) is
added to the standard path in the "CLI Activation" step at the end of
the installation of the Ghostscript i-Package.

Both are done by modifying /etc/csh.login (for the tcsh shell) and /
etc/profile (for the bash shell). /usr/share/misc/man.conf is also
modified on Tiger, such that the man pages for the TeX binaries are
found automagically.

For example, with a healthy TeX system you should get at least, in
Terminal, the following elements in your default path:

echo $PATH
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/
powerpc-apple-darwin-current

Regarding the PS to PDF conversion:

- pstopdf is /usr/bin/pstopdf is Panther's then Tiger's Apple built-
in distiller.

- ps2pdf is /usr/local/bin/ps2pdf is Ghostscript's distiller.

- epstopdf is /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
epstopdf is teTeX's distiller (for EPS files only).

Yes, this is confusing indeed.

Bruno Voisin