[OS X TeX] Oh boy!!!

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Nov 25 10:33:48 EST 2005

On Nov 25, 2005, at 5:44 AM, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

>> HS> I guess I spoke too soon. I'm getting errors when trying to
>> submit  changes
>> HS> to a project. Can anyone out there give me a clue of how to
>> bring my local
>> HS> CVS repository from my old computer to my new one?
>
> What kind of errors?
>
> In your sandbox (working directory) there is a directory called
> CVS. It has
> a file Root that contains the location of the repository. You can edit
> that. Please note that there is one in each subdirectory.
>
> It might be cleaner to checkout your project from the new
> repository to a
> new working directory and then copy the files from your old working
> directory over it (recursively) excluding the CVS directories. Then
> commit
> the new thing.
>
> By the way, if your repository on your new machine is on the same
> path as
> in the old machine no changes would be necessary.
> --
> Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
> Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org

Howdy,

The path was identical, so that wasn't the problem. I had changed
ownership to root so cvs couldn't write to the sub-directories. When
I checked on my original system, the owner of those directories,
recursively, was me. Once I fixed that all went smoothly.

I keep hearing about a new/better version control system but don't
know anything about it. Does it even come as part of OS X 10.4? Once
I set up a project I use CVL as a GUI front end and everything works
easily; even a remote project comes up out of the box but that took a
bit more fiddling to learn how to do that.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)