[OS X TeX] Aquamacs, AucTeX, and preview-latex

Cameron Hooper chooper at umich.edu
Sun Nov 27 20:05:15 EST 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 27.11.2005 um 18:45 schrieb Cameron Hooper:
>
>> Really? Aquamacs help (Aquamacs for Emacs Veterans -> Latex
>> Support) says to install the AucTeX package maintained by Norm
>> Gall at http://yaced.sourceforge.net. Before I did this, visiting
>> a .tex file loaded tex-mode, not auctex.
>
> The Help is probably elder then the ELisp code. Look here: /
> Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-
> modes/preview/
>
> You make AUCTeX take regime over all TeX files you need to enable it:
>
> 	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX
> mode
> 	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook '(lambda () (TeX-fold-mode 1)))
>
> and again you need to load a bit: (require 'tex-site). And here can
> be one problem: I think this file needs so customisation for its
> locality.

I'm using the documentation that came with the application bundle.
Anyway I removed the auctex package I installed and added the above
lines. Emacs chokes on (require 'tex-site). Spotlight fails to find
tex-site.el anywhere on my system. If aquamacs comes with auctex
preinstalled, surely it must come with a copy of tex-site.el.

>>> You not only need to activate preview-latex by loading the ELisp
>>> file, you too need to add the path to the preview-latex files:
>>>
>>> 	(add-to-list 'load-path "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/
>>> preview")
>>
>> I assumed Aquamacs did this automatically as it explicitly says
>> auctex should be installed at this location. Anyway I added the
>> following
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/site-
>> lisp/preview")
>>
>> but nothing changed. So I then tried
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/site-
>> lisp/site-start.d")
>>
>> Again no change.
>
> I don't know what might be going wrong. I hope you did the
> installation of AUCTeX and preview-latex according to the
> documentation and let make do it ...

I installed auctex using the installer available from http://
yaced.sourceforge.net as suggested by the Aquamacs documentation.
There is nothing to make, it comes "pre-made". My understanding is
that the job of the installer is to take care of the usual configure/
make process automatically.

> You can put into site-start.el or .emacs or into *scratch* with
> eval-region when you need it this little bit of code:
>
> 	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
> 	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G):Loading now: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

This produces the following:

An error has occurred while loading `/Users/cameron/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, tex-site

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

(XXX): Loading now: /Library/Preferences/Emacs/Preferences
(XXX): Loading now: /Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences
(XXX): Loading now: ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs/Preferences
(XXX): Loading now: ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/Preferences
(XXX): Loading now: ~/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/
customizations.el

> This will record in *Messages* which files get loaded. For me, when
> I first load a TeX source, this gets recorded:
>
> 	/Library/Application Support/Emacs/site-start.el
> 	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt: preview-latex.el
> 	preview-latex wird geladen
> 	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt: /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/
> Resources/site-lisp/site-start.d/auctex.el

I don't have this directory structure. Spotlight is unable to find
auctex.el. All this is confirming for me that AucTeX does not come
pre-installed with Aquamacs and simply needs to be activated.

Of course, I could be wrong :-) Perhaps I deleted something I
shouldn't have from /Library/Application Support/Emacs. So I
reinstalled Aquamacs from scratch. None of the above results changed.

>> The only files in /Library/Application Support/Emacs were added by
>> auctex installer. I went ahead and deleted them but kept the load
>> statement in .emacs. On startup emacs complained that it couldn't
>> open load file preview-latex.el. So I deleted the (load "preview-
>> latex.el" nil t t) line from .emacs. Now emacs starts but auctex
>> is not loaded.
>
> As mentioned above AUCTeX needs the (require 'tex-site) first and
> then the statements to make it take over over elder ELisp software.
> Upon correct installation these files and directories will appear
> in the install directory:
>
> 	drwxr-xr-x   6 root  admin     204 29 Sep 20:44 preview
> 	-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin     324 29 Sep 20:44 auctex.el
> 	drwxr-xr-x  43 root  admin    1462 29 Sep 20:44 auctex
> 	-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin   12421 29 Sep 20:44 tex-site.el

Okay time to review. First up I remain unconvinced that auctex/
preview-latex comes with aquamacs. Unless these packages are
installed by the user, aquamacs will use tex-mode. Second, after
installing auctex using the installer described above, aquamacs will
then use auctex when visiting a tex file without any further
customisation required the user AS LONG AS auctex is installed to /
Library/Application Support/Emacs or (despite what the documentation
claims) $HOME/Library/Application Support/Emacs. BUT preview-latex
does not work.

In my reply to Paulo I mentioned that I had got Preview to work when
I installed to ~/Emacs. In the above tests I removed these from from
load path. It seems that the above experimentation broke something as
now I am unable to regain the set up that did work earlier.

Okay. It's not worth this much work! Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

Cameron