[OS X TeX] Setting up PDFtricks on MacOS10.4

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 28 11:19:00 EST 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Christopher Allen wrote:

> I now understand the path structure in MacOS much better and can
> include .jpg's (thanks, Ross and Mortten!!!). Now, since I'm moving
> to pdflatex, I'm in the process of moving from pstricks to
> pdftricks. I find the documentation with pdftricks rather scanty
> (vis-a-vis setting it up) for someone with minimal Unix knowledge.
> I can see how to use it once it's set up, just not how to set it
> up. I had no problem following the NewPDFtricks documentation; the
> documentation told me exactly where to put the newpdftricks.sty
> file. However, NewPDFtricks assumes I already have pdftricks
> working. I've been googling in vain. Could someone point me to a
> page that gives me step-by-step instructions for setting up
> pdftricks on MacOSX10.4 for a Unix novice?
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

Howdy,

The original version of pdftricks is installed already. To use the
``new'' version (which is still called pdftricks (I should have at
least changed the internal name) is placed somewhere in ~/Library/
texmf/tex/latex/ and will be read before the original version.

Documentation and some sample files are in /Library/teTeX/share/
texmf.gwtex/doc/latex/pdftricks/. Basically, pdftricks allows you to
use pstricks from within a pdflatex document. It does this by
surrounding pstricks information within special environments. That
information is written to external files which are then processed via
latex->dvips->ps2pdf->pdfcrop (in the case of the ``new'' version of
pdftricks) into individual cropped pdf figures and then included
within the original document. The default setup for TeXShop should
allow this processing to happen in the background so you needn't
worry about it.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)