[OS X TeX] Setting up PDFtricks on MacOS10.4

Christopher Allen Christopher.T.Allen.95 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Mon Nov 28 11:52:55 EST 2005

> There is nothing more to do than install the "pdftricks.sty" file
> (from Herb Schulz's site) in your texmf directory (~/Library/texmf/
> tex/latex).

I did that. But there must be more than that. I've copied files other
people have posted to test my installation, and they won't compile
properly. I keep getting:

(pdftricks)                No \write 18 capability.
(pdftricks)                You'll have to run a script by yourself!

I've tried to follow a number of different suggestions posted around
the web to fix this; it seems I'm far from the first to encounter
this problem. Clearly there is something more I need to do, but I
don't understand at all what I'm supposed to do, even after reading
pages of suggestions.

Thanks!
Chris

PS: Here's the sample file I'm using now:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{ifpdf}
\ifpdf%
   \usepackage{pdftricks}
   \begin{psinputs}
     \usepackage{pstricks}
   \end{psinputs}
\else
   \usepackage{pstricks}
   \newenvironment{pdfpic}{}{}
\fi
\begin{document}
\section{Hallo}
Welt.

\begin{figure}[htb]
\centering
\caption{The image, converted with \texttt{pdftricks}}
\begin{pdfpic}
   \begin{pspicture}(5,2)
     \psline{|<->|}(0,0.3)(4,1.9)
   \end{pspicture}