[OS X TeX] Need help reinstalling Lucida fonts

Chris Goedde cgoedde at condor.depaul.edu
Wed Oct 5 14:01:15 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I had a disk crash several months ago, and I realized I never
reinstalled the Lucida fonts. I had them working with TeX before, but I
was using straight teTeX that I installed myself. Now I'm trying to
make them work with gwTeX, and I need some help.

What I've done so far is copy the pfb and pfa files to
.../texmf.local/fonts/type1/lucida. I then ran texhash and updmap. Here
is my test TeX file:

%%%%%
\documentclass[11pt]{article}

\usepackage{lucidbry}

\begin{document}

Testing: final, ``fitting'', difficult

\end{document}
%%%%%%

The lucidbry package is found okay, but I'm getting missing font errors:

%%%%%%
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
  \write18 enabled.
output format initialized to PDF
entering extended mode
(./Lucida.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, nohyphenation,
loaded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size11.clo))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidbry.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/fontenc.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfssx/ly1enc.def)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfssx/ly1ptm.fd))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidabr.sty))
(./Lucida.aux)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/lmrhlcm.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucida/ly1hlh.fd)
[1{/usr/local/t
eTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
(./Lucida.aux)kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag
1+18/600 --dpi 618 hlhr8y
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlhr8y.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
  )
Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file hlhr8
y): Font hlhr8y at 618 not found
Output written on Lucida.pdf (1 page, 995 bytes).
Transcript written on Lucida.log.
%%%%%

Of course it can't find the files, because my files have names like
lbc.pfb, lbmd.pfb, etc, not hlhr8y.pfb. I think that this is a naming
scheme problem (as mentioned at
http://www.math.upenn.edu/tex_docs/latex/psnfssx/lucidabr.txt), but I
don't know how to fix it. I think I want to  use the Karl Berry naming
scheme, not the y&y scheme. How do I tell gwTeX to do this?

In looking through the output of updmap, I didn't see anything that was
obviously related to lucida, i.e. no lucida.map. Do I have to copy a
lucida.map from my old distribution.

Right now I'm working with pdftex, but I'd like to have this work with
dvips+gs as well.

Thanks for any help.

Chris