[OS X TeX] Re: Open Testing of MacTeX Distribution

Bastian Philipps bph at gmx.info
Fri Oct 7 07:04:11 EDT 2005

Jonathan Kew said the following on 7.10.2005 12:54 Uhr:
> On 7 Oct 2005, at 11:15 am, Bastian Philipps wrote:
>
>> Herbert Schulz said the following on 7.10.2005 1:47 Uhr:
>>

>>> The "MacTeX" package is based on Gerben's gwTeX, and also installs
>>> XeTeX, TeXShop, and more.  The distribution as a whole also includes a
>>> number of other applications and documents for your perusing and
>>> installation pleasure.
>>>

>> It's more Feedback than a Bug-Report. But what I am missing in this
>> whole package is the chance to deselect some of the provided
>> applications.
>> For example, my simple academic papers only need a basic
>> TeX-Installation, include in that all packages so far mentioned on
>> http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Ekoch/texshop/installing.html
>>
>> So installing Context and XeTeX is rather superfluous and locks up
>> Diskspace, which is why a deinstalling feature inside the mpkg would
>> be nice.
>
> Yes, I can understand this; but it complicates the process of building
> (and testing), and means that new/naive users (the people for whom this
> is primarily intended) will not necessarily have a "standard" setup any
> more, which leads to all kinds of support headaches.
>
> If you are already using TeX and happily running i-Installer to stay up
> to date, etc., there's really no reason you'd need the MacTeX installer
> package. (The overall collection of resources on the disk might still be
> handy to have.) The "one-step" installer is intended for those new to
> TeX on OS X, and aims to make it *really* simple to get a solid,
> general-purpose setup.
>
> If we did start making parts of the install optional, where would this
> end? One person may want the option of deselecting ConTeXt and XeTeX;
> but another might want to omit a lot of the extra fonts; and another
> might not need LaTeX at all. Myself, I don't generally have any use for
> Ghostscript, or for ImageMagick; it would save space on my disk if these
> could be omitted.
>
> Anyhow, the philosophy of this package is to provide one "known good"
> configuration that should be adequate for most purposes, and
> particularly for new users wanting to try TeX. If you already know
> enough about the TeX world to make your own decisions as to what you
> do/don't wish to install, you still have the option of using i-Installer
> and other tools to manage your own installation.
>
> Hope this helps explain.
>
> JK

That's the explanation, that has been in the back of my mind the whole
time. But thanks a lot for taking the time and explaining in debt.

On a second thought, that's exactly what some of my friends with a
lesser affinity to IT complained about the complexity of the
i-installer. So next time round I will just hand them the MacTeX-Disk!

Greetings and thanks again for your work
Bastian