[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] Re: "I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!"

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Oct 9 19:03:37 EDT 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 00:27, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 10.10.2005 um 00:01 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>
>> This will remove personal web2c and fonts/map/*/updmap subdirectories
>
> That's not good! From working with fontinst I have a lot of MAP files
> in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap

The updmap subdirectory is for updmap to write in. If others write
there, it is at their own risk. You could write in
fonts/map/dvips/fontinst for instance.

>  which I do not want to install system-wide at once by invoking the
> install script with sudo. And I really do not want to wait some
> minutes until texhash has finished to be able to check what I've done
> right now. This is really no good idea, except you make the cleaner
> script remove only copies of the system MAP files, leaving out names
> from texmf.local tree. Just imagine there is some work in progress to
> make the local fonts accessible by TeX! The recent halfway working
> state is made available to all by installing things into the
> texmf.local tree, further investigation is needed and will be done
> (with the nex TeX installation), and so we have in
> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap the same names once more.

This personal configuration business is a nightmare. Anyway, if you are
a TeX expert, do not choose Remove.

> And it's needed that all non-sys scripts are invoked à la 'sudo -H -u
> i-Installer's remains easily afterwards.

I did not understand this sentence.

> A nice thing would be to have an option to press a button and then to
> see which 'private' files will get removed.

You are welcome to build such an interface for the TeX i-Package. I am
sick of this util-sys mess.