[OS X TeX] Help: Hieroglyphs and Font not Found

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Oct 11 05:01:45 EDT 2005

Am 11.10.2005 um 02:47 schrieb Yann Ricard:

> Note that I completely disregarded the warning that read:
>                     %   Don't change this file directly. Edit
> texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
>                     %   and run updmap to recreate this file.

Yann,

you should take care of this warning! In case the Fink folks decide in
the next ten or twenty years to distribute a new TeX, Fink might get
problems to update a file that's not according to the standards. And if
this file is simply overwritten you've lost again. If the file
(psfonts_t1.map) does not get overwritten, it's contents will get
updated, *lost* to be clear, by a run of updmap (or updmap-sys).

Even the eldest Mac OS X had locate. There is a script,
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb, which records the contents of all your
system's volumes in a file called /var/db/locate.database, when invoked
with root permissions. Afterwards you can invoke 'locate updmap.cfg'
and 'locate hierofonts.map' and within a second all pathnames
containing (somewhere) any of these strings are listed in Terminal (or
Emacs' shell buffer). You too can locate the updmap script (another way
to find this script would be simply 'which updmap', but then your PATH
setting must be correct!). I think Apple described under the topic of
'timed services' a way to automate the invocation of
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb to make it happen at night.

You edited psfonts_t1.map because the sym-link psfonts.map is pointing
to it -- by some chance. You too have psfonts_pk.map and you too have
the same file names with an extra 'download' and 'no-download' in the
name. All these four MAP files are provided for a special behaviour of
your TeX system. With t1 dvips uses the PostScript versions of Computer
Modern fonts, so you need to install CM-Super, BaKoMa, or such. If you
don't have these, then psfonts_pk.map would be dvips' right choice. Now
it too can happen that you would like to publish the hieroglyphic paper
in a journal. They might demand to include *all* PS fonts in the
output. Then psfonts_t1_download.map would be the right MAP file for
dvips.

If you really want to do so much by hand, you should locate that
updmap.cfg file and edit it. Afterwards you *must* run updmap that this
addition is propagated into all MAP files, as used too by pdfTeX or
dvipdfm. As Gerben Wierda wrote, who prepares and continuously updates
a very complete package of a modern teTeX 3 and TeX Live 2005 (or less,
i.e. elder) based TeX for Mac OS X that can be substituted for Fink's
old TeX (as I have), the most correct way would be to simply invoke

	sudo updmap --enable MAP hierofonts.map
	sudo updmap --enable MAP diacrFonts.map

(Well, with TeX Live 2005 you would need to substitute updmap with
updmap-sys!)

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best".
		-- H. Allen Smith