[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Packages release

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Oct 12 15:42:08 EDT 2005

On 12 Oct 2005, at 18:18, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> Where did you have the map files?
>>

> The map file is at:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/ifmath/iffonts.map
>

>> If they were in your personal tree check to make sure they are
>> still there.
>>

> Yes, as I indicate above, it is still there.
>

>> If not, get them from a backup and you may have to do an updmap-
>> sys to enable the maps and add them to the list. I think (big
>> assumption here) that the distribution will delete map files in ~/
>> Library/texmf/fonts/map/*/updmap/.
>>

> I thought about that, but when given the option, I have been
> telling it to keep my stuff. I think that the window was titled
> something like "Individual user configuration handling?". I told it
> to "Keep as is". Is this what you are referring to? Should I have
> done something else?

This whole stuff has been removed and this panel is gone too.
Anything in ~/Library/texmf will be ignored by the i-Package.

>> PS I have no problem with the informal math fonts here but I
>> installed them in texmf.local.

This is essential, see below.

> I would really like to know what happened here. I must say that I
> am not the most novice user and I am finding all of these choices
> to be more confusing all the time. I really wish that more
> information was provided when major changes to the installation are
> made (as appears to be the case with the recent TeX release). I am
> not saying that the changes shouldn't have been made since they
> appear (from what I have gleaned from the list) to be important, I
> just wish that the consequences were better summarized for people
> like me. Am I the only person whose head is spinning? I pity people
> who are just starting out. :-)

The changes in the teTeX tools turn out to have a lot of effects.
First: the new i-Package does not offer to do anything anymore in the
~/Library/texmf.

The map files in ~/Library/texmf are not found anymore by the system-
wide configuration during the i-Package configuration file because
the new configurations are run as root with home directory set to the
home directory of root. Hence, anything in ~gary/Libraray/texmf will
not be seen and e.g. an updmap --syncwithtrees will disable any map
not found (which includes those in ~gary/Library/texmf)

If you want to add a map file to the system wide situation, the right
place now is texmf.local.

The result of this approach is that you will get *exactly* the same
setup for your system-wide configuration, independent from the person
running the TeX i-Package configure phase. I think that is clean. But
it is different from the past.

In terms of the command line, the following behaviours (using TL2005
stuff), (example: map file handling):

System wide (this is how the TeX i-Package does it).

1. Install the map file in texmf.local (~/Library/texmf is ignored)
2. Run:
     sudo -H -u root updmap-sys --enable Map foo.map

Personal:
1. Install the map file in ~/Library/texmf
2. Run:
     updmap --enable Map foo.map

Compatible with TL2004 (written in texmf.local but ~/Library/texmf is
*not* ignored):

1. Install in ~/Library/texmf of texmf.local
2. Run:
     sudo updmap-sys --enable Map foo.map