[OS X TeX] LaTeX with Chinese Characters

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Oct 19 14:53:07 EDT 2005

On 19 Oct 2005, at 6:39 pm, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> On 10/19/05, Claus Gerhardt <gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>
>> Typesetting with the cjk package is really slow even on fast Mac. I
>> would strongly discourage anyone to use it, recommending xelatex or
>> xetex instead, which offer typesetting speeds similar to that of an
>> ordinary tex document.
>>
>> Claus
>>

> Stephen, Jonathan, William, and Claus,
>
> Thanks very much for all the very helpful information. It looks like
> xe(la)tex is the way to go. Now the stupid question ... where and how
> can I install xe(la)tex? I suppose it's an extension of my existing
> LaTeX installation, so I am not building another mansion, right?

Right.

Information is at http://scripts.sil.org/xetex.

As you used i-Installer for TeX, etc., that's also the easiest way to
install Xe(La)TeX. In the list of directories within i-Installer,
there's "Jonathan Kew's i-Directory"; open that, and you'll find an i-
Package that installs XeTeX into your existing setup.

If you run into difficulties, there's also a dedicated XeTeX mailing
list, which is a great place to get answers and advice from a number
of helpful users. (See http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/xetex.)

Hope this helps,

Jonathan