[OS X TeX] LaTeX with Chinese Characters

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Oct 20 13:06:27 EDT 2005

On 20 Oct 2005, at 5:28 pm, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> Jonathan, I already installed the XeTeX extension via i-staller. It
> was a breeze to install. Now, I would like to ask, In TexShop (v. 2.03
> + Mac X 10.4.2):
>
> TeXShop Preferences -> Typesetting -> Default Command,
>
> if I change from "LaTeX" to "Command Listed Below (XeLaTeX)", do I
> have to switch back and forth for non-Chinese documents? Or, the
> XeLaTeX supersedes (i.e., encompasses) LaTeX?

To some extent, it depends on your documents. If you have LaTeX
documents that only use standard TeX fonts and LaTeX packages, you
may prefer to keep using a standard TeX (or pdfTeX) engine for these.
It will be faster (PDF generation in XeTeX is relatively slow at
present), and will remain compatible with all standard packages. At
this time, some packages (especially those that interact with the
output driver, and rely on pdfTeX features or dvips \specials, etc.)
are not fully supported in Xe(La)TeX.

However, you don't necessarily have to change the TeXShop default
command. If you add a comment at the top of a file with the form:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex

then TeXShop will automatically use the xelatex engine when
typesetting that document, regardless of the default specified in the
Preferences dialog. (Similarly for other "engines" that TeXShop offers.)

JK