[OS X TeX] Prevent Acrobat Reader From Opening Files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 28 13:25:38 EDT 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 12:15 PM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> I am annoyed by the fact that Acrobat Reader(AR) tries to open some
> PDFs. I already UNchecked the option "Display the PDF in browser using
> Acrobat Reader" in the Preferences of Acrobat Reader's. But apparently
> AR has a its own mind and RE-check that option itself. This has
> happens several times.
>
> A while ago, BibDesk got crashed exactly due to AR ...
>
> Does anyone know a way to prevent AR from opening PDFs? I still want
> to keep the program in my laptop. However, if it's impossible to make
> it behave, maybe to delete completely is the only way to go -- in this
> case, how do I remove AR completely?
>
> Thanks.
>
> JT

Howdy,

Adobe seems to be one of those companies that thinks it knows better
than you. After unchecking the option you should also remove the
Adobe Reader Plugin (don't know the exact name any more - it should
be pretty obvious) located in /Library/Internet Plug-ins/. The damn
thing also seems to put a framework INSIDE Safari.app but that seems
to be harmless once you get rid of the plugin.

Hope that solves your problem.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)