[OS X TeX] Pointer to .bib file

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 2 16:23:24 EDT 2006

On 2 Apr 2006, at 21:39, Winfried Zettelmeyer wrote:

> I am trying to organise my bibliography which accumulated during
> the years dispersed over the hard drive(s) in one place with this
> stupendous BibDesk programme which I got to know in connection with
> my recent change to LaTeX (TeXshop). The plan is to subdivide
> subject matters with key words and search with smart groups (still
> learning this tool).

In that case, store all parts in yout texmf tree. This will reduce
your headaches quite a bit.

> This would, of course, preclude to include the bibliographic
> database as it will be huge and mostly unrelated to the respective
> document. But I do not want to send source files anyway, but
> just .pdf output or tex4tht converted MSWord files.

I've been lucky enough to be able to collaborate on articles using
LaTeX alone, so no conversion here. There are tools that will allow
you to create a .bib file that contains only the subset of the
references actually used in a particular document. See the tex faq
mentioned in the mailing-list footer for details.

> The .bib file can, of course, very well stay far away from the
> documents it organises, which would make the symbolic link
> unnecessary. But being new to BibDesk and TeXshop, and in many
> features also to Mac (and UNIX anyway) I still feel a bit uneasy
> about ~usr versus /User and the duplication of paths and all, still
> feeling more secure from /Documents onwards.

Don't forget that ~/Library is just as much your domain as ~/Documents.

Maarten