[OS X TeX] Can't find required tool

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Apr 4 13:08:03 EDT 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 11:40 AM, George Gratzer wrote:

> I installed OS X 10.4.6 and now TeXShop does no longer work:
>
> Can't find required tool
>
> (pdflatex).
>
> How come?
>
> GG

Howdy,

No problem here after updating. I'm on PPC are you using Intel?

In any case, try looking at your path in Terminal:

echo $PATH

in bash (don't know the exact incantation with tcsh). It should
include /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current to be able
to find the binaries in Terminal. In TeXShop look at Preferences-
 >Engine->Path settings and see if that is the default there too.
Finally go to /Library/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current (the /
Library/teTeX/ is a symbolic link to /usr/local/teTeX/) and see that
pdflatex is there.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)