[OS X TeX] two-page split equation

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 16:42:46 EDT 2006

Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> I would like
>>
>>    \begin{equation}
>>    \begin{split}
>>    \end{equation}
>>
>> to be able to start on one page and continue onto the next as I
>> often end up with a lot of empty space on the page where the split
>> equation should start but cannot as it does not have enough space  to
>> be there in toto.
>

> If you are using amsmath, then I think that declaring
> \allowdisplaybreaks at the beginning of your source files will do as
> you are requesting.

I was wrong about the Companion 2ed. Here is indeed what it says in part
on page 481:

    The command \allowdisplaybreaks, which obeys the usual LaTeX scoping
    rules, is equivalent to putting \displaybreak before every line in
    /any/ display environment within its scope; […]

However, "scope" does not appear in the index and various attempts have
failed but without the console objecting. On the other hand, the console
objects my placing \displaybreak "anywhere".

So, is Høgholm's "The split environment creates an unbreakable box" in
fact true contrary to what Companion 2ed seems to be saying or am I am
missing something big?

Hopeful regards
--schremmer