[OS X TeX] OT: succession of figures and tables

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Apr 27 06:54:54 EDT 2006

A generic LaTeX question: is there a simple way to make sure that
figures and tables appear in exactly the same order as they are input
in the LaTeX source?

Explanation: I'm polishing a paper in which a figure refers to data
contained in a table. I would like the table to appear after the
corresponding figure in the LaTeX output (the caption of the figure
contains details necessary to understand the table). However, because
the table is much shorter vertically than the figure, it has a
tendency to appear before it in the output (depending on the amount
of text already in the page at the point where the figure and table
insertions are called). I don't care about where the figure and table
appear exactly (ie on which page(s)), only about that fact that the
table appears after the figure.

LaTeX makes sure that figures appear exactly in the order they are
input in the LaTeX source, and similarly for tables. But is there a
way to also make sure that the relative ordering of figures and
tables is preserved?

Bruno Voisin