[OS X TeX] My ! has disappeared in Times

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Apr 27 07:55:31 EDT 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 5:28 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Some time ago there has been a thread on the dangers of using
> absolute paths in symlinks <http://thread.gmane.org/
> gmane.comp.tex.macosx/5898/focus=5898>. Quoting Martin Costabel:
>
>> (I learned this from a painful experience where I deleted a 3.5GB /
>> sw_recent directory on an unused FireWire disk I hadn't looked at
>> for a while; turned out this was a symlink to /sw, so in reality I
>> deleted the complete Fink installation on my local Powerbook.)
>
> (the symlink on the FireWire drive pointed to /sw, which referred
> to the /sw directory on the local hard drive).
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I remember that! I guess I haven't run into that with the links I
made. Of course, moving the link source so that even the relative
path is wrong (what I imagine would happen most of the time) would
fail too. In reality Apple has it right with aliases but Unix doesn't
understand it.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)