[OS X TeX] producing a commentary in TeX of an existing PDF document (various particular items)

Jason Davies ucgajpd at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 19:01:44 EDT 2006

thank you everyone for your suggestions. For various reasons, I think this one will work best but can I ask for some clarification?

>- create a document with your commentary, making sure that the pages
>are synchronous. - create a third document that consists of alternating
>pages.
>
>The third document can be created in BBEdit with Applescript without
>too much trouble. (see the pdfpages package)
>
>Because the docs get merged after the pages are numbered, this should
>create much less of a headache for you.

excuse my being dense, but that's what your template does? it actually takes one page from each document in sequence (I'm suffering from incredulity at how powerful this is, I think!)

ok, don't answer that, I'll give it a try and find out for myself:-)

>The normal \includegraphics command can do this if the image is taller
>than the text area.

ok, that must have happened.

many thanks to all, but especially Maarten for actually giving this amateur the framework to use. I'll let you know how i get on:-)