[OS X TeX] suppressing page number in report class

Joshua Smith josh at virginia.edu
Tue Aug 8 12:43:36 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I am trying to format a dissertation using the report document class
with the following structure: title page, abstract page, table of
contents page, followed by main chapters.  I am using fancyhdr to
control the page numbering.  I would like "Abstract" to appear in the
same typeface as the chapter titles so I use \chapter*{Abstract}, but I
cannot seem to suppress the page number on that page.  I am using the
following (simplified) latex code below.  Why does
\thispagestyle{empty} clear the page number for the title page but not
the abstract page?  Any ideas around this?

Thank you for any help.

Josh Smith
University of Virginia

\documentclass{report}