[OS X TeX] Illustrator cannot use partial sets of TeX fonts

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Wed Aug 9 10:00:02 EDT 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 9:17 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> The pdf output produced by pdflatex cannot be opened by Adobe
> Illustrator CS : the error messages says "missing fonts".
>
> You can look into the pdf document, using Acrobat: it says that
> only partial sets of fonts CMMI, CMR, CMSY have been incorporated
> to the file.

If you just place, instead of open the file this won't be an issue if
it meets your needs.

> You can try to typeset the same file with \usepackage{fourier}. In
> this case, the Utopia text fonts can be faund in the system, so you
> get the same problem, but only with math fonts.
>
> Does anybody knows a way
>
> - either to force pdflatex to incorprate the whole font used, not a
> partial set ;

This can be done be using i-Installer to configure things for full
download or using updmap for the same or manually forcing it at the
command line for a particular run.

> - to make system fonts out of the TeX fonts of families CMR and
> alike, and of Fourier family ?

Sure.

Merge all of the fonts into one file, set them to have Unicode
encoding and export as OpenType.

Won't be useful for anything though 'cause the additional math metric
information won't be assigned to the characters in the font. The next
step on this is improving XeTeX so that it can use Unicode math fonts
which Jonathan Kew has been working on.

> P.S. MacOS system fonts were the native fonts used by Textures. I
> suppose that XeLaTex could also use such MacOS system fonts.

So does pdftex & al.

The problem is that the fonts don't use a standard encoding and AI
won't accept anything but the native system encoding or Unicode.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.