[OS X TeX] Illustrator cannot use partial sets of TeX fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Aug 9 13:14:15 EDT 2006

Le 9 août 06 à 16:48, <stephenmoye at cox.net> <stephenmoye at cox.net> a
écrit :

> ---- "André Bellaïche" <abellaic at math.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>>
>> The pdf output produced by pdflatex cannot be opened by Adobe
>> Illustrator CS : the error messages says "missing fonts".
>>
>> You can look into the pdf document, using Acrobat: it says that only
>> partial sets of fonts CMMI, CMR, CMSY have been incorporated to the
>> file.
>>
>> You can try to typeset the same file with \usepackage{fourier}. In
>> this case, the Utopia text fonts can be faund in the system, so you
>> get the same problem, but only with math fonts.
>>
>> Does anybody knows a way
>>
>> - either to force pdflatex to incorprate the whole font used, not a
>> partial set ;
>>
>> - to make system fonts out of the TeX fonts of families CMR and
>> alike, and of Fourier family ?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> André Bellaïche
>
> Opening PDFs in Illustrator can be a sometimes thing. On the rare
> occasions that I have had to do such a thing, I have:
> 1. extracted the relevant PDF page,
> 2.converted the text to outlines in the extracted page (an
> excellent choice for that now is "TeX Font Outliner.app" from
> http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/PDF-Processing-Apps.zip),
> 3. taken the result into Illustrator, make whatever changes I need to,
> 4. save the page as a PDF and
> 5. reinsert it back into the original.
>
> Ugly, but it works.

It works, thanks. This was my original plan, with steps 2 and 3
interverted. But it could not work, since Adobe Illustrator wants to
see the whole font before displaying the text and converting it to
outline.

I will now try to understand the more complicated information about
fonts by Peter Dyballa and William Adams.

Thanks again.

André Bellaïche